Why You Need An Attorney For A Will
People are often tempted to write up a will on their own, assuming it is something they can do quickly and easily to protect their estate.
The problem is that a DIY will kit may not give you all the protection you are looking for. These kits are not designed with your specific situation in mind. They create generic documents that are more of a one-size-fits all style. In many cases, that means it does not actually fit at all. You may think your estate plan is ready to help your family when you have actually overlooked some important points.
Working With A Professional
At D’Alessandro & D’Alessandro, LLC, in Basking Ridge, we can help you go over your options and look into the specifics of your case. We will show you how to create an estate plan that really fits for your family. Topics we can discuss with you include:
- Working to lower and limit estate taxes
- Setting up trusts to control your assets
- Picking a good executor for your will
- Considering charitable giving
- Leaving more to someone with special needs in a way that does not make him or her ineligible for benefits
- Planning for the succession of a family business
- Creating powers of attorney to govern medical and legal decisions if you are unable to do so
- Working to reduce the chances of an estate dispute
- Updating your estate plan if you and your spouse get divorced
- Giving gifts before you pass away
- Dividing complex assets such as offshore accounts and art collections
- Handling debt, funeral costs and other expenses
- Creating a will and an estate plan that will hold up in court
It is good that you are thinking about your estate plan. Some reports claim that more than 50 percent of people do not have a will. Just make sure you know what you are doing. Working with our estate planning attorneys can help, as we have more than 35 years of experience and we offer personal, dedicated attention for every client.