Penalties For A First DUI Offense In New Jersey
Even though DUI/DWI is traffic offense in New Jersey, the penalties can still be serious. It may include jail or prison time, depending on the specifics of the charge. It is a mistake to try to handle this yourself.
At D’Alessandro & D’Alessandro, LLC, our attorneys have the knowledge and experience to protect your rights and your driver’s license in DUI/DWI cases. We will assess your case and clearly explain your options. Each case is unique, so please speak with us to learn how the law will apply to you.
Your Freedom And Driver’s License May Be At Risk
While DUI/DWI is considered a traffic offense – not a misdemeanor or felony – the state still takes it seriously. The penalties are stiff and the fines, fees and surcharges add up to thousands of dollars.
For a first-time DUI/DWI offense with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08-.10 percent, the penalties may include:
- Loss of your driver’s license for seven-12 months
- A fine of $250 and $400; additional fees and thousands of dollars in surcharges
- Potential jail sentence up to 30 days
- Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC) classes for 12 to 48 hours
- Use of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle
If your BAC is .10 percent or higher, if you caused an accident with injuries or property damage, or if you had a child in the vehicle, the penalties will be more severe. Subsequent DUI/DWI offenses will also have harsher penalties.